Hi, welcome to Lost Girl Wiki! Thanks for your edit to the Lauren page.
I've seen how you've been making multiple edits to the Lost Girl wiki.
Question: how do you re-order images that are out of sequence?
Example: in "Category:Seasons"
- Images begin with Season 4, followed by S3 - S1 - S2.
- They should begin with Season 1, followed by S2 - S3 - S4.
Are you a second identity of the wiki’s Admin, Nickclark89 aka Nicolás?
I’m asking this because I’m interested in volunteering for the position of Admin, since two admins already dropped out and the current one has been hands-off since May 16, 2013. Furthermore, 'all things Lost Girl' are relatively quiet right now, but when Season 4 starts there may be issues (hopefully not) with malicious Users making edits to this Wiki, and the Lost Girl TV show Wiki will need to be protected from them (it has happened in Wikipedia).
If it is, indeed, you and you've burned-out as the admin, it's understandable. I’ve been in contact with a team member of Wikia’s staff regarding the Admin position and it was suggested that I contact you directly about it since you've been so active on the Wiki.
- Hello, to answer your first question, I don't know how to reorganize those images you talked about.
- As to your second question, no, I am not this Admin called, Nickclark89. I'm a completely different user. Also, I do not know anything about becoming an Admin. I am just someone who knows a lot about Lost Girl. I'd like to be an Administrator some day, but I'm afraid I'm not. Nicholasemjohnson (talk) 13:20, September 15, 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you for responding to my message. I did several searches about Wikia "how to's" and it appears that only Admins can move graphics around. Which indicates to me that the 'Admin-in-name-only' pops in and out to play with this Wiki, but doesn't like performing the duties of a hands-on Admin who has to deal with Users. Which is a disservice to the Wiki, its contributors, and the public who only reads it, because being an Admin is more than just a title with editing privileges. Virago a-go-go (talk) 23:14, September 15, 2013 (UTC)
Main Cast, Main Characters, etc. Edit
I think your contributions to the Wiki have been mostly useful, but some errors have had to be corrected because they haven't been based on what actually happened in the storyline: for example, you went into the Info Box for "Bo's Father" and added Aife as his "wife". Yet there has been nothing in the storyline that has ever referred to Aife as the wife of Bo's father. (You don't have to be married to bear a child.)
We may have different ideas about making edits, but I personally prefer to not turn assumptions into data.
In regards to Tamsin: Rachel Skarsten was added to the "cast" in Season 3, but the announcement of her addition did not say she was added to the "regular" cast:
- "The series welcomes Rachel Skarsten (The Vow, Flashpoint) to the cast as Tamsin, a thrill-seeking, sexy new Fae who ruffles many feathers. Emmanuelle Vaugier (Two and a Half Men, Covert Affairs) reprises her role as The Morrigan, the leader of the Dark Fae. Making a special guest star appearance is two-time Golden Globe® and Emmy® nominated actress Linda Hamilton (The Terminator, Beauty and the Beast) as Acacia, a tough, sexy and ruthless assassin. Rounding out the cast are series regulars Kris Holden-Ried, Ksenia Solo, Zoie Palmer, Rick Howland and K.C. Collins." from: New Year, New Season, New Bo
Bo was mentioned earlier in the announcement, so this part of it specifically emphasized Ried, Solo, Palmer, Howland, Collins, as the "series regulars".
Notice that the announcement also mentions Emmanuelle Vaugier as The Morrigan.
If you interpret the announcement about Skarsten to mean that Tamsin is now a Main Character and that Skarsten has been added to the Main Cast -- then you must also interpret that The Morrigan is also now a Main Character and Vaugier has also been added to the Main Cast.
Perhaps you are a fan of Tamsin and have a blind side. I've seen how passionate fans can be about their favorite character and hook-ups. Perhaps not. Perhaps you're just making assumptions based on what you perceive. Either way, I think making edits should be done carefully and based on what the people who create the show itself indicate.
- Hello, I interpreted as Skarsten being added to the main cast because she appears on the Season 3 promotional image along with the other 6 main characters. By that logic, Tamsin must be a main character as well. Nicholasemjohnson (talk) 14:02, September 16, 2013 (UTC)
Summarizing edits Edit
Need a favor from you: can you please start adding a summary of your edits before you publish them. Summaries benefit the Wiki by letting users who go to “Wiki Activity” see, immediately, what has been done to a page. Yes, we can all click on the “show me the page” icon in the Activity list, but that’s an additional step that doesn’t have to be taken if there’s a brief summary explaining the edits, additions, deletions — and creations — unless a user wants to see the actual changes. It's ok to forget to do it now and then, but failing to do it over and over again is not a good idea. Your interest in the Wiki is very much appreciated. [~Admin] Virago a-go-go (talk) 07:41, September 19, 2013 (UTC)
Adding "License" to uploaded photosEdit
Hello. I've been doing some house cleaning of the wiki and formalizing formats and wiki style. I noticed that you added a "License" to the images you've uploaded to the photo files collection. I think you are confused about what having the license to an image means.
Simply put: if you are not involved with Prodigy Pictures Inc. as an Executive Producer or Producer representing the company, you cannot claim to have a license for photos from Lost Girl — from an episode screenshot, to a promotional or publicity photo about the show.
In a nutshell: no user who uploads a photo, video, .gif can claim license to it unless the user shot the photo in person with his/her own camera, made the video with his/her own equipment and software, made the .gif from a video created and owned by him/her. Creating a wiki page or adding an image to a wiki page does not make a user an "author" since all users are contributors to the wiki and can make edits to pages.
- Hi. The thing is, I created the images by putting a DVD into the computer and then taking a screenshot of the character. Since I cannot use the licence that says I created it, what license should I use instead? Nicholasemjohnson (talk) 16:42, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
- None. No one has the license to the screenshots they take from the episodes, for use in the wiki. If you read what's on the back of your DVD you will see this:
- WARNING. Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures and video tapes. (TITLE 17, United States Code, Sections 501 and 506). The Federal Bureau of Investigation investigates allegations of criminal copyright infringement. (TITLE 17, United States Code, Section 506).
- Most nations have a copyright law. DVDs made for sale in Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom are copyright protected. Bottom line is: Prodigy Pictures Inc. has the exclusive copyright and license to all things Lost Girl. They've gone after many Lost Girl related videos on YouTube and had them taken down. They've looked the other way with fans making screenshots and .gifs from episodes, but they will not allow any fan to claim a license to what they create from a Lost Girl episode.
- I've uploaded many image files and have not claimed license to them because I simply don't have it. (To state the obvious: we are all stealing from Lost Girl if we don't first have written permission from Prodigy Pictures to make screenshots, fan vids, and .gifs from the series.) Virago a-go-go (talk) 22:23, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
Edits to pagesEdit
I saw that you tinkered with the Mel Williams page.
(a) Don’t forget to also add the number of the episode before the title.
(b) If a character appears in an episode (instead of only being mentioned), the page for it needs an image of the character. Do you have one that you can upload to the page? Virago a-go-go (talk) 02:47, October 29, 2013 (UTC)
- No, I'm afraid I don't have one. Nicholasemjohnson (talk) 05:52, October 29, 2013 (UTC)
Message from new AdminEdit
Hello, I am the new Admin of the Lost Girl Wiki as of September 2013.
Nickclark89, who took over the reins of the wiki when it was abandoned by its founder, has taken a much-deserved break from admin duties and, until further notice, will contribute to the wiki as a "normal user" (his words).
I am posting this message in the talk pages of all established users of the Lost Girl Wiki to make sure they become familiar with the changes that have been made to the organization and use of the wiki.
If you did not read the wiki’s Community Portal when you first joined the wiki, please visit: Community Portal. If you wish to create a page in the wiki, please visit New Pages. To see what categories and pages exist in the wiki, visit Content.
Order of categoriesEdit
I edited how you added the categories to the Clans page.
Categories for articles about general Fae subjects begin with the "Season" first.
Categories for category pages begin with "Content" first (unless they are kept track of by the Admin, then the admin adds "Site administration" as the first category).
I'm still trying to decide if an article that is going to be linked in the description of its category should have the category added to it and appear as a page in the category, because it seems to be a redundant habit that started a long time time ago in the wiki.
Please learn the formatting of pagesEdit
You need to learn how to follow the consistency of the wiki. The old way of doing things have changed. Users who persists in editing pages and creating pages that do not follow the standards of the wiki can be considered malicious editors. Please familiarize yourself with the new ways. Read: How to create a CHARACTER page. Look at the character template at: Template:LGCharacter. In fact, read the pages under New Pages. The sooner, the better. Thanks. Virago a-go-go (talk) 12:26, November 20, 2013 (UTC)
Corrected Lauren page name in your profileEdit
FYI: I had to edit your profile page to change the linking to a "Lauren Lewis" page because every time you edit the Lauren article it recreates an incorrectly titled page that had been deleted. The titles of character pages are the names as used in the show and referred to by the producers when they discuss the characters, and when they provide production information about the series. (example: No one says "Bo Dennis" when they address the character. They only refer to her as "Bo". Her page in the wiki, then, is titled "Bo".) Virago a-go-go (talk) 22:12, December 11, 2013 (UTC)
- I understand that, however be aware that a lot of other wikis include last names in the page titles, even if they're not commonly used. I understand changing the name of the character page, but there's nothing wrong with keeping the redirect. Nicholasemjohnson (talk) 05:03, December 12, 2013 (UTC)
- Other wikis are not the Lost Girl Wiki. I follow the lead of the show's writers and producers. I've devoted a lot of time to fix many problems in this wiki, problems you were not aware of but that were causing issues in many pages. Templates that were cut and pasted so many times that at one point someone deleted a code in one of them. Articles that had no consistency because they were created haphazardly. Images that became lost and had to be tracked down and restored. It's a long list. This wiki now has a "bible" -- a consistent way of doing things and standards that create continuity within it. Anyone with any level of editing skills can now participate in the wiki and do things right from the start because there are standardized procedures in place. The Admin before me abandoned the wiki. He just got tired of tackling what an Admin has to tackle. The Admin before him also abandoned the wiki. I have handled a lot of problems in the wiki, believe me, and it's why I know first-hand that redirects are problematic. Are you familiar with the saying, "Too many cooks spoil the broth"? There have been too many cooks in this wiki. When it comes to eliminating potential problems down the road, I will do what is best for the wiki in the present and for the future.
Message in a bottleEdit
Your edit on Bo page:
In Season 4, Bo learned about Lauren's real name when she looked in her apartment. In Let the Dark Times Roll, she reunited with Lauren. They rekindled their relationship, sharing a lot of kisses. However, Bo began having doubts when Lauren admitted to willingly joining the Dark Fae.
Your edit on Lauren page:
In Let the Dark Times Roll, Bo and Lauren met again. They shared a lot of kisses, happy to see each other again. At first, Bo was delighted to be reunited with Lauren, but when she told Bo that she had willingly given herself to the Dark fae, she felt a little disappointed.
Re: Bo page
The line about “Bo began having doubts....” is your interpretation of what happened in that scene. There was nothing that indicated Bo doubted anything. To “doubt” something is to be skeptical and undecided about it. Bo was shocked, and by the expression on her face possibly dismayed, but there was nothing in that scene that stated or implied that Bo doubted what Lauren had said to her.
Re: Lauren page
It’s phrased completely different than the edit to the Bo page. It’s a statement about what you saw, not about what you theorized.
I bring this to your attention because I want to help you understand why the narrative about a character needs to be different than the opinions of the user making an edit to an article (the *Trivia* section is the space for speculations). The Lost Girl Wiki serves as an encyclopedia of the TV show, not just a fan site. And like all encyclopedias, the information it provides needs to be based on fact, not figments of imagination, because this wiki will still exist and provide information about the series long after Lost Girl’s last season. Virago a-go-go (talk) 22:45, December 11, 2013 (UTC)
Dark King page & The Wanderer page Edit
I split the Dark King page from The Wanderer page, because they are two separate titles and we may find out in Season 4 that they are not one and the same. Either way, the show has referred to a "Dark King" and to "The Wanderer" and they each should have had their own article, even if each page makes a reference to the other within the text. (Also, there were 3 redirects in the wiki for one character: Bo's Father, Dark King, The Wanderer.) You know a lot about the story and characters of the show. Can you do a favor and check both pages to see if anything is missing, or maybe more information can be added to them? No need to hurry. Thank you for your time if and when you do so. :-) Virago a-go-go (talk) 13:33, December 13, 2013 (UTC)
Did you have any particular justification for un-linking "Lewis" within the text, the second name he's known by? Don't forget that this wiki is not just a fan site, it's also an encyclopedia of the series. Virago a-go-go (talk) 23:07, January 20, 2014 (UTC)
- I removed the link because it was a redirect page that you deleted. Nicholasemjohnson (talk) 00:22, January 21, 2014 (UTC)
- You're mistaken. I did not delete a "Lewis" page. I may delete a redirect link, but I don't delete the page it redirects to. In fact, as the Admin I can go into the redirect special page and by doing so have eliminated redirects in the wiki by going into the page where a redirected subject appears and changing the redirect to a direct link. (You've no idea of what kind and how many problems I've found in the wiki that I've fixed, because it's all done behind the scenes.)
- My apologies I meant to say that I unlinked it because it was a redlink. (The Nibelung Dwarves page might be created later, so I didn't remove that.) All I'm saying is that I was trying to do what I thought best. I know I always forget to put in edit summaries, but I figured it wouldn't be necessary for a small edit. I'll try to be more clear in the future. Nicholasemjohnson (talk) 03:53, January 21, 2014 (UTC)
Deleting category in Nain Rouge pageEdit
Oh, no, you didn't. I rolled your deletion back. I also did it for the Hsien page. I will continue to roll back edits that aren't thought through. If the Light and Dark cannot have dealings with each other except once per year, if they cannot set foot in each other's territory, and the Nain Rouge appeared inside The Dal, and Lachlan talked about her appearing to Bo, you put two-and-two together about her. Not everything about a character is going to be stated explicitly. Characters are Light Fae or Dark Fae based on (1) specific mention and (2) association. Furthermore, her name is a title. You DO NOT delete categories from a character page because YOU decide they don't belong. Don't go down that road because I will be forced to exercise my Admin privilege against editors who go against the wiki's guidelines. If you have refused to read the guidelines in Lost Girl Wiki:Community Portal, you need to do it now. Virago a-go-go (talk) 23:43, January 21, 2014 (UTC)
Message for all Registered Users Edit
The majority of episode pages are missing plot narratives (i.e. recaps):
- Season 1: After Episode 1.03, eight episodes need plots.
- Season 2: Starting with Episode 2.05, many episodes are missing their plots.
- Season 3: All episodes for the third season lack plot narratives.